M. Baldwin, PhD, RN, CHTP, CT, NCC, AHN-BC, FAAN
Professor Emeritus; Southwest Borderlands Scholar; Deputy
Director, WHO/PAHO Collaborating Centre to Advance the Policy on
Research for Health; Past Director, Center for World Health
Post-Doctoral Studies - University of Arizona,
Epidemiology of Sleep, Environmental and
Cardiopulmonary Disorders (1995-97)
PhD - University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
Biological Psychology, 1988
MSN/BSN - University of Phoenix, Tucson, AZ
Community Health Emphasis, 2003
MA - Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI
BA - Mount Mary College, Milwaukee, WI
Communication/Family Studies (Magna cum Laude), 1982
ADN - Milwaukee Area Technical College, WI
Nursing (Magna cum Laude), 1977
Certificate - St. Joseph's Hospital School of EEG
Technique, Milwaukee, WI (1963-65).
Baldwin CM, Schultz AA, Berrere C. (2016).
Evidence-based practice (Ch. 27). In BM Dossey & L. Keegan
(Eds.), Holistic Nursing: A Handbook for Practice (7th
ed.), pp. 637-661. Boston, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
- Petrov ME, Buman MP, Unruh ML, Baldwin CM, Jeong
M, Reynaga Ornelas L, Youngstedt SD. (2016). Association of sleep
duration with kidney function and albuminuria: NHANES 2009-2012.
Sleep Health: Journal of the National Sleep Foundation 2(1):75-81.
- Buman MP, Epstein DR, Gutierrez M, Herb C, Hollingshead K, Huberty
JL, Hekler EB, Vega-Lopez S, Ohri-Vachaspati P, Hekler AC,
Baldwin CM. (2015). BeWell24: Development and
process evaluation of a smart phone 'app' to improve sleep,
sedentery and active behaviors in US Veterans with increased
metabolic risk. Translational Behavioral Medicine (1-11), doi:10.1007/s13142-015-0359-3.
- Yeom H-A, Baldwin CM, Lee MA, Kim SJ. (2015).
Factors affecting mobility in community-dwelling older Koreans with
chronic illnesses. Asian Nursing Research 9(1):7-13.
Baldwin CM. (2014). Sesion 13: Los trastornos del
sueno y la promocion del sueno saludable (Sleep disorders and sleep
health promotion). In Camino a la Salud (Su Corazon/Su
Vida) manual para educadores de la salud, promotoras y
promotores. Washington, DC: PAHO/WHO.
Baldwin CM, Reynaga Ornelas L, Russell M,
Batool-Anwar S, Quan SF. (2014). Quality of life and sleep disorders
in special populations. In S Garbarino, L Nobili & G Costa
(Eds.), Sleepiness and Human Impact Assessment. London: Springer.
- Diaz-Piedra C, Di Stasi LL, Baldwin CM,
Buela-Casal G, Catena A. (2014). Sleep disturbances of adult women
suffering from fibromyalgia: A systematic review of observational
studies. Sleep Medicine Reviews 21:86-99.
- Petrov M, Lichstein K, Baldwin CM. (2014).
Prevalence of sleep disorders by sex and ethnicity among older
adolescent and emerging adult college students: Relations to daytime
functioning, working memory and mental health. Journal of
Adolescence 37(5): 587-597.
- Batool-Anwar S, Goodwin JL, Drescher AA, Baldwin
CM, Simon RD, Smith TW, Baldwin CM. (2014). Impact of CPAP
on activity patterns and diet in patients with obstructive sleep
apnea (OSA). Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine 10(5):465-472.
- Buman MP, Winkler EAH, Kurka JM, Hekler EB, Baldwin
CM, Owen N, Ainsworth BE, Healy GN, Gardiner BA. (2014).
Alternating sleep, sedentary and active behaviors. Effects on
cardiovascular disease risk biomarkers, NHANES 2005-2006.
American Journal of Epidemiology 179(3):323-344.
Areas of Interest
World & U.S. Border Health; Health Equity; Sleep Disorders &
Associated Chronic Diseases; Sleep Health Policy, Education &
Promotion; Hispanic Health; Quality of Life; Complementary,
Alternative & Holistic Health
Grants and Projects
- Transdisciplinary training in health disparities science
(Faculty). Funded by NIH NINR, 2011-2016; $654,730.
- Spirituality and Quality of Life in Diabetes (Co-I). Funded by the
University of Guanajuato, Mexico, 2013 - 2015; $7,692.
- Patterns of sleep, quality of life and mobility in older cancer
patients during chemotherapy in Korea (Co-I). Funded by Catholic
University of Korea, 2012-2014, $100,000.
- Spanish Translation and Validation of Sleep Measures (PI). Funded
by NIH NICHD, 2007 - 2010; $148,031.
- Polysomnography in Homeopathic Remedy Effects (Co-I). Funded by
NIH NCCAM, 2005 – 2009; $450,000.
- Health Related Quality of Life in Colorectal Cancer Survivors with
Stomas (Co-Investigator). Funded by NIH NCI, July 2004 – 2009; $1,334,482.
- 2015 - ASU President's Medal for Social Embeddedness (Su Sueno/Su
Vida; Your Sleep/Your Life)
- 2013 - Appointed to ANA Professional Issues Panel on Nurse Fatigue
- 2013 - Reconocimiento "Sleep Disorders and Chronic
Disease" contribution to the University of Guanajuato, Mexico
Certified Diabetes Educator Program funded by the World Diabetes Foundation.
- 2012 Co-Chair, Global Health Nursing Expert Panel and
Emerging/Infectious Disease Expert Panel joint AAN pre-session
conference planning committee.