Design (Interaction Design), MSD

Design (Interaction Design), MSD

Academic Programs / Graduate Degrees / Design (Interaction Design), MSD

Click to save to my favorites

Communication, Graphic, Interaction Design, design, visual

ASU is no longer accepting new students to this program. Please explore Degree Search for other similar program options.

Program Description
Degree Awarded: MSD  Design (Interaction Design)

Interaction design is about how people use products and services. This MSD program focuses on the study of interaction design principles, tools, complexities and change. Students will be prepared to create dynamic, expressive and communicative forms for effective human-spatial interactions such as those needed with physical and virtual shopping, retrieving information and numerous other such tasks.

At a Glance
Degree Requirements

36 credit hours and a thesis, or
36 credit hours including the required applied project course (DSC 593)

Students may choose to complete their graduate work by way of a thesis or an applied project. A master's degree thesis is a scholarly endeavor that demonstrates the ability of the author to do supervised research and intellectual writing. The applied project is somewhat different. It includes a project and a written document and is a scholarly endeavor that demonstrates the ability of the designer to do supervised research and present substantial evidence of the ability to apply research creatively to a design situation.

Admission Requirements

Master of Science in Design Program Requirements

  1. All applicants must submit the online graduate application and hold an undergraduate or graduate degree from a college or university recognized by ASU.
  2. All applicants must have completed a program in design and must hold a bachelor's degree in graphic design, industrial design, interior design or a related design discipline. When applying for admission, applicants must declare one of seven concentrations:
    • arts, media and engineering
    • design of health care and healing environments
    • industrial design
    • interaction design
    • interior design
    • new product innovation
    • visual communication design
  3. All applicants must meet the minimum GPA requirements as established by the Graduate College.
  4. An applicant whose native language is not English (regardless of current residency) is required to submit an official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of at least 80 (Internet-based) or 550 (paper-based). Other information for international applicants can be found on the Graduate College website at
  5. A portfolio, letter of intent and contact information for three references need be submitted to SlideRoom ( The Design School requires that these be submitted in addition to the the Graduate College application requirements.

No GRE test is required.

Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts.

Admission to the program is selective. Admission cannot be deferred; students must enroll in the semester for which they are admitted, otherwise they will need to go through the entire application process again for the year in which they are applying.

A personal interview is not required; however, a candidate wishing to visit the school is welcome and should make arrangements by contacting the department.

Teaching or Research Assistantships

Applicants wishing to be considered for teaching or research assistantships should submit an additional statement outlining areas in which they feel competent to serve as a teaching or research assistant. All interested applicants can apply for a teaching assistantship position online. The link to the application will be provided on the Master of Science in Design website.

All international teaching or graduate assistants whose primary language is not English are required to be certified in their English language abilities. Those individuals whose native language is not English will be required to submit a Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit score, which is administered at ASU. Students also have the option of completing the Test of Spoken English, administered directly by the Educational Testing Service. For this group, no personnel action form will be signed until this examination has been successfully completed.

Contact Information

The Design School | CDN 162 | 480-965-3536

What are Accelerated Degrees?
The accelerated bachelor's and master's degrees are designed by the academic programs to provide selected high-achieving undergraduate students with the opportunity to combine advanced undergraduate course work with graduate course work to accelerate graduate degree completion. These programs allow accelerated students to obtain both a bachelor's and master's degree within five years. Accelerated programs are not offered at Lake Havasu.
What are Concurrent Programs?
Students pursuing concurrent degrees earn two distinct degrees and receive two diplomas. ASU offers students two ways to earn concurrent degrees: by choosing a predetermined combination or creating their own combination. Predetermined combinations have a single admissions application and one easy to follow major map. To add a concurrent degree to your existing degree, work with your academic advisor. Either way, concurrent degrees allow students to pursue their own personal or professional interests.
What are Joint Programs?
Joint programs, or jointly conferred degrees, are offered by more than one college and provide opportunities for students to take advantage of the academic strengths of two academic units. Upon graduation, students are awarded one degree and one diploma conferred by two colleges.

What constitutes a New Program?
ASU adds new programs to Degree Search frequently. Come back often and look for the “New Programs” option.
What are Online Programs?
ASU Online offers programs in an entirely online format with multiple enrollment sessions throughout the year. See for more information.
What is WICHE (Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education)?
WICHE (Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education) allows master’s, graduate certificate, and doctoral students who are residents of western states to enroll in high-quality programs at participating institutions outside of their home state and pay resident tuition. See more information and eligibility requirements by visiting

click back to top