Trauma and Bereavement (Graduate Certificate)

Trauma and Bereavement (Graduate Certificate)

Academic Programs / Graduate Degrees / Trauma and Bereavement (Graduate Certificate)

Click to save to my favorites

Trauma and Bereavement (Graduate Certificate)


Counselor, GRIEF, Social Work, counseling, death, dying

Are you committed to helping others heal from grief, trauma and crisis? Do you wish to develop the confidence to support others through crisis intervention? This certificate is designed to build on your skills as you strive to be an engaged and empathetic mental health professional.

Program Description
Degree Awarded: Certificate  Trauma and Bereavement (certificate)

There is a growing need in society for health care workers and clinicians to be better prepared to help clients and patients experiencing trauma.

The School of Social Work graduate certificate program in trauma and bereavement prepares individuals to work in the field of death and dying as well as with trauma and bereavement in clinical, organizational and administrative settings. The program provides students with enhanced knowledge about grief responses and the effects of trauma. Students have opportunities to research an often under-explored topic while helping transform the sociopolitical management of grief, traumatic losses and end-of-life issues in contemporary society.

At a Glance
Degree Requirements

15 credit hours

Required Core (12 credit hours)
SWG 577 Traumatic Death: Theory, Counseling and Practice (3)
SWG 612 Social Work with Groups (3)
SWG 626 Crisis Intervention and Short-Term Treatment (3)

Students select one of the following as part of the core:
SWG 541 Field Practicum I (3)
SWG 542 Field Practicum II (3)
SWG 641 Advanced Practicum: Direct Practice I (3)
SWG 642 Advanced Practicum: Direct Practice II (3)
SWG 645 The Professional Experience III (3)
SWG 646 The Professional Experience IV (3)

Electives (3 credit hours)

Admission Requirements

Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and the Watts College of Public Service and Community Solutions.

Applicants are eligible to apply to the program if they have earned a bachelor's or master's degree from a regionally accredited institution in fields such as psychology, sociology and social work.

Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in the last 60 hours of their first bachelor's degree program, or applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in an applicable master's degree program.

All applicants must submit:

  1. graduate admission application and application fee
  2. official transcripts
  3. personal statement
  4. resume
  5. School of Social Work certificate application
  6. three references
  7. proof of English proficiency

Additional Application Information
An applicant whose native language is not English must provide proof of English proficiency regardless of current residency.

International students who need an F1 or J1 visa first need to apply to and be accepted into a graduate degree program prior to being considered for the certificate program. International students residing in the USA on other types of visas must adhere to all Graduate College policies and procedures regarding admission be considered for admission to this certificate program.

The personal statement, resume, School of Social Work certificate application (available on the department website) and three references (forms available on the department webpage) should be submitted to the School of Social Work.

The personal statement must be two to four pages, doubled-spaced; additional guidelines are listed on the application.

No more than two certificate courses may be completed before applying for admission to the certificate program.

Students should see the program website for application deadlines.

Contact Information

School of Social Work | UCENT 800 | 602-496-0800

What are Accelerated Programs?
ASU students may accelerate their studies by earning a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in as little as five years (for some programs) or by earning a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 or 3 years.

Accelerated bachelor's and master's degree programs are designed for high-achieving undergraduate students who want the opportunity to combine undergraduate coursework with graduate coursework to accelerate completion of their master’s degree. These programs, featuring the same high-quality curriculum taught by ASU's world-renowned faculty, allow students to obtain both a bachelor's and a master's degree in as little as five years.

Accelerated bachelor’s degree programs allow students to choose either a 2.5- or a 3-year path while participating in the same high-quality educational experience of a 4-year option. Students can opt to fast-track their studies after acceptance into a participating program by connecting with their academic advisor.
What are Concurrent Programs?
Students pursuing concurrent degrees earn two distinct degrees and receive two diplomas. ASU offers students two ways to earn concurrent degrees: by choosing a predetermined combination or creating their own combination. Predetermined combinations have a single admissions application and one easy to follow major map. To add a concurrent degree to your existing degree, work with your academic advisor. Either way, concurrent degrees allow students to pursue their own personal or professional interests.
What are Joint Programs?
Joint programs, or jointly conferred degrees, are offered by more than one college and provide opportunities for students to take advantage of the academic strengths of two academic units. Upon graduation, students are awarded one degree and one diploma conferred by two colleges.

What constitutes a New Program?
ASU adds new programs to Degree Search frequently. Come back often and look for the “New Programs” option.
What are Online Programs?
ASU Online offers programs in an entirely online format with multiple enrollment sessions throughout the year. See for more information.
What is WRGP (Western Regional Graduate Program)?
The Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP) provides a reduced tuition rate to non-resident graduate students who qualify. Visit the WRGP/WICHE webpage for more information:

click back to top