Environmental Humanities, Certificate

click back to top

Environmental Humanities, Certificate


Focus on humans' relationship to nature and the environment in English core courses and electives in other disciplines.


The environmental humanities certificate program offers students who are interested in humanities-based approaches to the current global environmental crisis an option to focus on this vital area of study. Students take courses and electives from selected programs that are focused on the human relationship to the environment and the relationship between nature and culture.

At a Glance
Program Requirements

This certificate is comprised of 24 credit hours
Core: (12 credit hours)
Pick four ENG courses from the list below, with a minimum of at least one 400-level course:*
*Note: Other ENG courses may be approved by CISA advisors depending on special- or variable-topics courses available in given semesters.
Electives: (12 credit hours)
Complete four additional courses (see advisor for approved list). Some courses are limited to students majoring in the discipline, have prerequisites or cannot be taken in combination with another course on the list. Additional courses may be approved by the College of Integrative Sciences and Arts English advisor depending on special- or variable-topics courses available in given semesters.
1. A minimum of 12 upper-division hours are required.
2. Six hours must be taken from the College of Integrative Sciences and Arts at ASU.
3. A grade of "C" (2.00) or higher is required in all courses taken for the certificate.
Depending on a student's undergraduate program of study, prerequisite courses may be needed in order to complete the requirements of this certificate.

Enrollment Requirements

The environmental humanities certificate is available to all ASU undergraduate students. Students should see an advisor for more information.

Contact Information

What are Accelerated Degrees?
The accelerated bachelor's and master's degrees are designed by the academic programs to provide selected high-achieving undergraduate students with the opportunity to combine advanced undergraduate course work with graduate course work to accelerate graduate degree completion. These programs allow accelerated students to obtain both a bachelor's and master's degree within five years. Accelerated programs are not offered at Lake Havasu.
What are Concurrent Programs?
Students pursuing concurrent degrees earn two distinct degrees and receive two diplomas. ASU offers students two ways to earn concurrent degrees: by choosing a predetermined combination or creating their own combination. Predetermined combinations have a single admissions application and one easy to follow major map. To add a concurrent degree to your existing degree, work with your academic advisor. Either way, concurrent degrees allow students to pursue their own personal or professional interests.
What are Fast Track Programs?
Fast track your future by completing your degree in a condensed time frame while participating in the same high quality educational experience as the four-year option. Choose either a 2.5 or a 3 year option to best meet your needs. Discuss the best option for you with your academic advisor after your acceptance into your program.
What are Joint Programs?
Joint programs, or jointly conferred degrees, are offered by more than one college and provide opportunities for students to take advantage of the academic strengths of two academic units. Upon graduation, students are awarded one degree and one diploma conferred by two colleges.

What constitutes a New Program?
ASU adds new programs to Degree Search frequently. Come back often and look for the “New Programs” option.
What are Online Programs?
ASU Online offers programs in an entirely online format with multiple enrollment sessions throughout the year. See http://asuonline.asu.edu/ for more information.
What is the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)?
The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) is a program in which residents of western states (other than Arizona) may be eligible for reduced nonresident tuition. See more information and eligibility requirements on the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program.

click back to top